From Tetti’s Flakes
Oven baked donuts with Mastelo cow cheese, prosciutto, arugula, béchamel with Mastelo and poached egg. Since we have to eat breakfast like a king.
- 180 ml milk, lukewarm
- 2 ¼ tsp dry yeast
- 500g all-purpose flour
- ¼ tsp salt
- 70g melted butter
- 2 eggs, medium
For the béchamel
- 40g butter
- 60g all-purpose flour
- 300 ml milk
- 50g cow cheese Mastelo, grated
For the eggs
- 6 eggs
- 12 tbsp vinegar
- 300g cow cheese Mastelo
- arugula leaves
- 6 slices prosciutto, thin
- 6 poached eggs
- In a bowl add the warm milk together with the yeast. Stir and set aside for about 10 minutes or until the yeast is activated. To help the yeast activate, add a pinch of sugar.
- In a stand mixer add the flour and salt. Stir by hand.
- Add the melted butter to the stand mixer bowl, and then add the eggs one by one.
- Then add the activated yeast and mix on medium speed for about 5 minutes or until it doesn’t stick to the bowl. In case the dough is sticky, add a little flour.
- Wrap the bowl of the mixer with a clean towel and place in the oven at 40-50°C until it doubles in size. It will take about 45-60 minutes.
- In a parchment paper roll out the dough with the help of a rolling pin to a thickness of about 3 cm.
- Cut circles using a 10 cm round cookie cutter. Re-roll scraps if needed to make 14 donuts. Transfer the parchment paper to a baking tray, wrap with a clean towel and place in the oven at 40-50°C until doubled in size. It will take about 20-30 minutes.
- Bake the donuts at 190°C, for 10-12 minutes. Right out of the oven, brush a hot donut all over with 1 tbsp melted butter.
For the béchamel sauce
- Place a pot over low heat. Add the butter and let it melt while gently stirring with a whisk.
- Add the flour and start to whisk. Add the milk in 3 batches while stirring continuously.
- As soon as ¾ of the milk is absorbed, add the remaining milk and whisk.
- Remove from heat and whisk. Add the Mastelo cow cheese, reserving 1 handful for the end of the recipe. Whisk to combine.
For the eggs
- In a small saucepan add water and bring to a boil.
- In a ramekin add 2 tbsp. vinegar and then the egg. Wait 2 minutes for the vinegar to create a film over them.
- Lower the heat and let the water to simmer. By using a hand whisk, stir the boiling water in the pot in order to create a whirlpool.
- Very carefully add an egg and let it cook for 3-4 minutes. When ready, remove the eggs with a slotted spoon and transfer to a kitchen paper. Continue with the rest.
• Cut the Mastelo cow cheese into slices and grill it over medium to high heat on both sides until soft. Set aside.
• Cut each donut in half and add arugula, 2 tbsp. béchamel, a slice of prosciutto, Mastelo cheese and finally the egg.