From Teti’s Flakes
A wonderful alternative to the classic sweet bun, ideal for autumn mornings.
Savory bun with Mastelo
Servings: 2 buns
- ¾ cup milk
- 2 ½ tsp dry yeast
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 3 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 60 g butter, at room temperature
For the filling
- 300 g Mastelo cow cheese
- 8 peppers, green and red
- 2 garlic cloves
- ½ cup fresh basil
- freshly ground pepper
- In the bowl of the mixer, mix the milk, the yeast, the sugar, the eggs, the 3 1/2 cup flour and the salt. Knead for about 4-5 minutes, until the flour is completely incorporated.
- Gradually add the butter and knead for 2-3 minutes, until smooth. If the dough is sticky, add a little more flour.
- Cover the bowl with a beeswax wrap and then a clean towel. Allow to rise at room temperature for about 1 hour or until doubled in size.
- Meanwhile, in a preheated oven, bake the peppers at 200 ° C until they appear blisters on the skin and it starts to turn black. Peel the peppers, remove the seeds and set aside.
- Using a blender, grind the red peppers together with a clove of garlic, salt and freshly ground black pepper. Remove from the blender and add the green peppers together with the basil, one clove of garlic, salt and freshly ground black pepper. Set aside the two mixtures.
- Deflate the dough and divide it into two equal pieces. On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough into a rectangular shape.
- Spread the red pepper filling and half of the grated cheese evenly. Roll the dough along as tightly as possible to end up in a roll.
- By using a sharp knife we cut along to create two strips. Knit the braid. Continue with the second bun.
- Place inside a pan line with parchment paper and allow to rest under a towel in a warm spot for 45 minutes.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180°C for about 30-35 minutes, or until it gets a nice golden color.
ADVISE FOR THE RECIPE
The most important for the success of the recipe is none other than the rising of the dough. We must give the dough the necessary time, but also the appropriate conditions, so that it doubles in size.
In the case of the temperature of the environment isn’t good enough, you may use your oven at a very low temperature. In my oven 30 degrees was fine. If your oven has a convection feature, be sure not to use that, as it will dry out the dough during the rising.
For the filling I chose once again my favorite cow Mastelo as well as peppers, red and green. One of the two buns was exclusively filled with red peppers, while the second with green peppers and fresh basil.