Panko Mastelo Sticks
From My easy gourmet
Panko Mastelo Sticks. If you like mozzarella sticks -who doesn’t?- then you’ll love Mastelo sticks! Mastelo® is a Greek cheese company from Chios island run by a Greek family known for its long tradition in cheese making, counting over 24 years in this business. Their products stand out for their unique flavour and quality and are made from premium local cow’s and goat’s milk.
On this recipe I used the goat’s cheese but you can definitely try it with the cow’s cheese too and check out their lovely products.
Super easy cheese sticks, all you need is a lovely head of Goat Mastelo cheese cut in sticks, vegetable oil, eggs, flour and of course, panko breadcrumbs. After you cut the cheese in sticks, pat them dry with some kitchen paper to absorb the extra water and dip them in the flour, then the eggs, then the panko and for extra crispiness repeat the last two steps – double dip in the eggs and panko.
For the dip frying I used sunflower oil but any vegetable oil will do. If you have a wok pan, use that instead of a regular one and save half the oil you’d use with any other pan. If you don’t – c’est la vie!
- 1 head Goat Mastelo cheese – cut in 2cm/1inch sticks
- 4 eggs or more
- 200gr/7oz all purpose flour
- 1 bag panko breadcrumbs
- Vegetable oil for deep frying
1. Pat dry the cheese sticks with kitchen paper.
2. Beat the eggs in a bowl and set aside. Fill another bowl with flour and a third one with the panko. Place them next to each other, first the flour, then the eggs and last the panko.
3. Heat up the oil in very high temp.
4. Cover the sticks one by one with flour, then dip them into the eggs, then the panko and then dip them again into the eggs and panko.
5. Deep fry the sticks until they turn golden and let them dry on a cooling rack until all sticks are cooked.
6. Serve immediately!