- 700g of chicken thighs (boiled and pulled, or roasted chicken if preferred)
- 1 packet of Filo pastry (Puff pastry as an alternative)
- 400g ricotta cheese
- 250g Mastelo @mastelogr cheese (diced, but can be grated – alternatively halloumi or mozzarella can be used instead)
- 5tbsp strained yoghurt (can add cream for a wetter filling)
- 100g cherry tomatoes (halved)
- 2 large pepper (ideally red, chopped)
- 1 large onion (chopped)
- 1tbsp dried thyme
- 1tbsp dried tarragon
- 1tbsp smoked paprika
- 2tbsp mustard
- 1tsp chilli flakes (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- extra virgin olive oil (half cup in total)
- Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 6/7.
- Unroll the filo sheets and place carefully between two slightly dampened kitchen cloths. This keeps the sheets pliable to reduce tearing.
- Heat a large pan over a medium heat adding 1tbsp of oil. Fry the onion for 5 minutes until soft and translucent. Add the peppers, stir and then remove from the heat (the peppers will cook further in the oven)
- In a large bowl add the chicken, cheeses and spices, then mix well until everything is combined.
- Add the vegetables and mix again gently.
- Grease a medium baking tray with olive oil
- Line the baking tray with two sheets of filo, covering the sides of the dish, brushing with olive oil. Repeat until two-thirds of the filo is used up.
- Evenly spread the filling over the filo. Top with two more sheets, and brush with olive oil.
- Continue to layer the filo sheets as before, brushing with olive oil, until all are used up. Brush the very top layer with olive oil, and sprinkle a few drops of water.
- Fold the excess at the sides inwards and then brush well with olive oil.
- Cut squares into your pie part-way through.
- Bake at Gas Mark 6 for circa 50 minutes, or when the filo crust is crisp and golden brown. Remove from the oven. Finish cutting the squares and serve.